Saturday 17 November 2012

Breakfast with MexiGeek: scrambled egg taco


This is a fried tortilla, almost like you'd make for authentic enchiladas, only I didn't dip it in sauce.

First I cracked two eggs into a mixing bowl, seasoned them with salt and pepper, dried epazote, and ground chiles.

Then I beat them until not quite combined. Never over-beat your eggs.

Next I fried the corn tortilla in butter: about 30 seconds on the first side, then a little less than 10 seconds on the other side.

Then I removed the tortilla to a plate. It should not be crisp.

Over a medium heat, I melted some more butter. When it was hot, I added some cumin seeds and let them fry for a few seconds (a technique from Indian cooking).

Then I added the eggs and gently scrambled them until just done.

"Scrambled eggs" in Spanish are huevos revueltos, which means "thoroughly turned eggs", so I always use a circular motion when scrambling.

At the very end I added a teaspoon of my homemade chipotle sauce.

I put the eggs in the tortilla, folded it over, and topped with more sauce.

¡Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment