Sunday 3 February 2013

Breakfast with MexiGeek: Quesadilla enchilada


I had some leftover "en-chillied" tortillas: tortillas which had ancho-chile paste worked into the dough.


I decided to make a quick quesadilla.

First I spread some chipotle paste over one tortilla.


Then I added the cheese. Ideally it would be queso fresco, something crumbly like feta, or maybe ricotta, but all I had left was white cheddar.


I topped it with some surprisingly good pickled red jalapenos.


Then I put another tortilla over it (instead of folding the tortilla over, which is the usual method).

I fried the quesadilla in butter, just to make it more healthy.


Typically you would fry your quesadilla in pork lard, but any oil would do. A flavourless one like sunflower or rapeseed works perfectly.

The chipotle and jalapenos really "made" this dish in terms of the filling. Both brought a beautiful mix of chile heat and sweetness to contrast the saltiness of the cheese.

But I also love these "en-chillied" tortillas. Ancho is the classic flavour of enchiladas, and it's running all through the tortilla dough.

Quite a faff to make, but so delicious!

(Traditional enchiladas are much easier.)

No comments:

Post a Comment