Sunday 28 April 2013

Breakfast with MexiGeek: impromptu grilled halloumi quesadilla with salsa de jitomate y Luchito

This was kind of an "invention test" breakfast.

I came downstairs and find nothing to eat except:

Leftover flour tortillas

Tomatoes

Halloumi

Some deli-sliced ham

A jar of Gran Luchito

Plus a limited larder

(Mind, my "limited larder" contains some amazing Mexican herbs and spices.)

You can probably see I watch too much Masterchef.

So I put two tomatoes and a clove of garlic on the comal to dry roast.

(Don't over-roast the garlic.)

Then I removed the skins, popped the garlic and toms into a blender with a teaspoon of Mexican oregano, a dessert spoon of Gran Luchito, and a splash of cider vinegar and blended to a smooth consistency.

Then I grilled some halloumi on the comal and diced it.

Then I put the halloumi and some finely chopped ham on one side of a tortilla, folded it over and grilled on both sides.

Finally, I topped with my sauce y provecho!

The sauce was amazing and the halloumi worked surprisingly well considering it's the wrong kind of cheese for a quesadilla.

If you're making this at home, definitely substitute a melting cheese.

Unless, like me, halloumi is the only cheese you have in the house.

I'm not sure if John and Greg would have let me through to the next round, but I will say if you've got a jar of Luchito handy you'll have to work hard NOT make something delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment