Sunday 26 May 2013

Breakfast with MexiGeek: egg over-easy on a homemade blue corn tortilla

I'm quite used to blue corn tortillas (though I don't get to eat them much any more), but Mrs MexiGeek's reaction to these reminded me that blue isn't a colour everyone is comfortable with in food.

To Mexican food aficionados, blue corn rocks. It has a very different flavour (and texture) to the white corn used in normal tortillas.

I find it a bit sweeter in an almost floral way (definitely NOT sweet like yellow sweetcorn).

I made these tortillas last night. This morning I took one of the leftovers and fried it lightly on each side.

Then I dropped a few cumin seeds into the hot oil, Indian cuisine style.

Then I fried an egg over-easy, seasoning it with salt, pepper, and epazote.

Then I topped the tortilla with the egg and covered it with chipotle sauce.

The rest of the leftovers will go to make blue corn tortilla chips, which are the epitome of tortilla chips.

3 comments:

  1. There was a lady at the Durango Farmer's Market who used to sell blue corn tamales--amazing! They were stuffed with zucchini and black beans and then dolloped with sour cream and sprinkled with grated Monterey Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally going to try that, except I'm going to use queso fresco from Gringa Dairy! ¡Muchas gracias por la receta!

      Delete
  2. Excellent! Let me know how they turn out if you do. Hers were the reason I went to the market every weekend! Just thinking about them makes my mouth water (sigh).

    ReplyDelete