Sunday 20 January 2013

Breakfast with MexiGeek: spicy egg over easy on toast with leftover pibil sauce

I could have mexed this up more but I'm savings the leftover tortillas dobladas and refried beans for lunch.

The toast it's just toast, and they really do eat toast for desayunos in Mexico.

To add a Mexican touch to the otherwise American egg over easy, I fried it in pork lard I rendered myself.

Before you get grossed out, I needed the lard to make the refried beans authentic, and I'd rather use lard I made myself than but a block of that Tesco value lard, which is probably 29% horse anyway.

Before I flipped the egg I seasoned it with some powdered chile and Mexican oregano. Then I carefully placed it on top of the slice of (buttered) toast.

Then in the same pan I dropped about 1/4 tsp cumin seeds into the hot fat.

After a few seconds I added my leftover sauce from the pollo pibil I made last night (post to follow). This included some onion and tomato.

When it was good and hot I poured it over the egg y provecho!

The best thing about cooking Mexican food for dinner is you get leftovers for breakfast.

3 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely not grossed out because I recycle leftovers, and I love to experiment too! It's kind of easy to add a little spice and style to plain eggs, just add it with red peppers, spinach and mozarella cheese and voila! You have a three-cheese Spanish omellete; it's best paired with toast. =)

    Violet Larson

    ReplyDelete